Thursday, November 4, 2010

COIL & John Balance

Those of you familiar with the band Coil might like this. Me, being a geek, I used to correspond with the singer (John Balance/Otto Avery) in the 80's through the mail!!! ....ugh I'm old....

Anyway - this is a link to the first two letters he sent me while I was in high school in Alaska: http://equ.in/ox/music/coil/ryan/. Their AMAZING album, Horse Rotovator had just been released.
I find the most interesting part of the letters is in the Coil Fanzine he included with the letter.  The article is called Circles of Mania and tells the bizarre story of the performance artist, John Fare. Check it out....

Unfortunately John passed away in 2004 and the band's legacy lives on through the large discography they left behind.

1 comment:

  1. that is really really cool Ryan! What an honor to have been written back by such an influential artist!

    ReplyDelete